Sunday, November 4, 2007

Socalled aka Josh Dolgin











“Hip hop is all about representing who you are, your crew. I’m this little white Jewish dude living in the country. It doesn’t make sense for me to rap about guns, cars, and hos. I’m not going to rap about hos. What should I make music about? I should try to represent who I am. When I began digging for samples, I found these old Jewish records, and they were a clue about this funky, old tradition that had been forgotten. Yiddish theater, Cantorial music...all kinds of weird sounds…and the records had the most amazing breaks! And I realized that I could make my hip hop - my music from them.” –SoCalled

Download:
Socalled - You are Never Alone (mp3)
Socalled - (These are the) Good Old Days (mp3)

He's got a peculiar way of making music. He's also got a peculiar way of making his MVs.

You are Never Alone


(These are the) Good Old Days

No comments: