Wednesday, November 14, 2007

John Casey

"My creatures are called monsters by some, but I often feel that the connotations associated with 'monster' don't always apply to these little guys unless one can add descriptors like 'vulnerable' and 'fragile' to the definition of monster. Maybe I have issue with the monster moniker because I see my critters as self-portraits. Nick Capasso, director of the DeCordova Museum, once referred to my work as 'little exorcisms' and I like that description. The idea that I expel my inner demons in the form of drawn, painted, or sculpted critters appeals to me." - John Casey

Some work from a recent gallery of his: Strange Fruit - Bad Seeds

The branch-like nose reminds me of the ones you see on snowmen. Or like an alternate take on Pinocchio...

Go check his blog, he posts up some pictures of his ongoing pieces and gallery visits. Awesome stuff.

Source: Oh-so-fabulous Fecal Face

No comments: